Monday, December 3, 2012

(1) The Beginning

Chapter 1.  The Beginning

Sitting in the garden back of the monastery I'm watching the sun 
set, watching the day end, wondering when my days might end,
I'm a Millennial monk, now 85 years old.  And with each day past 
I keep expecting the end.  But I'm still here, surrounded by flowers 
and shrubs, feeling the warm air against my cheeks,  In lieu of my 
expected demise, I have time on my hands.  So what does an old 
fellow do?  Not much anymore, except to ponder on my life.

It has been an interesting life, if I do say so myself.  Maybe not
adventurous as I would have liked; but, than again, I've never
been a swashbuckler.  Though a monk, I have worked out in the 
world before I took my vows--and especially afterwards.  And I 
believe that I did lead a fairly commendable life, at least nothing 
over which to be ashamed.

So I guess I'll mull over my story as I spend these late afternoons
in the garden,  Who knows maybe I'll remember events that I have
forgotten, maybe even remember wonderful times I have overlooked.
The trouble is getting started.  Well, stories always have a beginning.
So I guess that's my starting point--after a short introduction.

For more than 50 years I have gone by my monastic name, Brother 
Benet.  I chose this name because as a monk, I am a  devotee of the 
Benedictine Tradition and took on a derivation of the name of its 
founder, St. Benedict.  I live in an ecumenical monastery, a dual 
monastery actually, since it houses both men and women.

The monastery  itself is part of a federation of monasteries located, 
thus far, in the American West.  "Millennial Monastery"  is still a 
young monastic organization, in that it was founded in the year 
2000 c,e, the same year that I was born.  So I am a part of the
so-called Millennial Generation, albeit at the very far end, born on 
the cusp of the Third Millennium.

But back to happier thoughts, back to the beginning!

Of course I wasn't born with my monastic name.  That would come
much later.  My parents named me Geoff.  Both my mother and
father were older.  I guess I was an afterthought, in that my other
siblings--two brothers and a sister--were already in their teens
when I hit the scene.  So by the time I was growing-up, it seemed 
like I was an only child.  My older siblings were already out of the
house, forging their own lives or in college.

At least my parents didn't spoil me.  Indeed, sometimes I suspected
they ignored me.  Hence I oft was left to entertain myself.  That was
okay, because it seemed that I was born a natural dreamer.  I had 
a knack managing my little world, somehow making it conform to
my imaginations--that is until I was sent off to school.

My family were Episcopalians, thus so was I,  That doesn't mean
that I was religious.  Religion didn't seem to touch me when I was
a youngster.  I guess I just endured it.  I had to, because I was sent
to a church school through my formative years.  Looking back, I
shouldn't complain.  I actually did receive a good educational
foundation.

No comments:

Post a Comment