Monday, December 3, 2012

(3) Energy Efforts


As it turned out, I fell in love with the desert.  I kind of surprised
myself.  The Salton Sea, itself, served as an oasis for bird
wildlife.  I never thought of myself as a "birder," but soon I bought
a pair of binoculars plus a bird identifier book and took to this
recent interest rapidly.

Nearby there was also a park dedicated to the wildlife in this area.
I managed to visit this park a number of times during these periods
I spent in the Salton Sea area.  And, actually, my stays in the desert
enriched my sense of Eco-Spirituality.  I took some of the insights
I experienced and employed such in the occasional retreats I gave 
back at the monastery.

However, at this point, I must make mention that all this architectural
work was necessarily spread out over many years.  By the time I 
had assisted in the geo-thermal project, I no longer could rightfully
say that I was a young adult.  Trekking around the desert, I had moved
into my mid-years--and the usual self-reflection that oft comes during
this period of one's life.

Nearing the end of the geo-thermal project, I began to feel dead
tired.  Exhaustion more readily seeped into not only my body. but
into my soul.  I had to struggle to finish my part of the project.  
And while struggling, I came to a life-changing decision.  I decided
to resign from my architectural firm and return to the monastery
full-time.  Plain and simple, I needed very much to be a monk again.
Fortunately my friend, Brother Philip, agreed with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment