Monday, December 3, 2012

(1) Eco-Spirituality


Chapter 4.  Eco-Spirituality

Flying up to San Francisco I had to smile at myself.  Never did I
imagine that I would be living in the Bay Area, especially in the
midst of all the High Tech pioneer companies that really defined
my youth when it came to powerful computers, miniaturization,
and communication viewers.  Even more boggling to me, I was
now a monk who would be sitting square in the middle of all this
incredible creativity!  I felt like a time traveler, moving out
of the monastic realm with its ancient roots into the milieu of
futuristic thinking.

After settling into my room at Stanford, I took the opportunity to
sight see via public transport.  These massive companies in
Silicon Valley seemed like modern temples--and, indeed, in
a way they were!  Our New Millennium is built upon a world
of High Tech that nearly prescribes the livelihood of billions
of people.  That meant "me" as well, as I thought about those
advanced computers and communication devices that were
part and parcel of our study and office back at the monastery.
And returning to my room, I instinctually pulled out my miniature
devices that would keep me in contact with the monastery.

With these devices I could share Lauds and Vespers with my
community back in the monastery chapel.  I could also participate
in the periodic monastic conferences that were held, keeping
up with the activities of the monastery.  And above all, I could
keep in touch with the Master of Monastic Studies as well as
our Rector.  It would seem that no place on Earth was far away,
unless you chose to block it out.  And periodically, yes, I would,

But I had to attend to the business-at-hand the next day, meeting
with my academic mentor.  We talked about my focus, what 
would be my selections when it came to the courses or seminars
I might take over the coming year.  It proved to be a good session,
helping me to make my choices in advance.

My Stanford mentor was particularly interested in my having
been an architect who had trained in the area of Environmental
Design.  Alas, I had to tell him that I hadn't had the chance to
move into this particular field before I moved into the Novitiate.
On the other hand, perhaps one day I'll be back working as an
architect--and, then, perhaps I might be able to get some
experience in this important field.

Mainly I felt that I needed specific training in Ecological Systems
as well as the continuing challenges posed by the environmental
changes we had experienced the past fifty years.  And, finally,
if possible I would like to beam-in on the issue of Sustainability
when it came to California.  Of course the two main concerns
for the Golden State were Energy and Water.

I surprised myself, in that suddenly it seemed that I had a
full plate of interests that likely was far too much for the one-year
program I was about to undertake at Stanford.

Nonetheless, my mentor was pleased and assisted me in
devising an overall plan for the year.  First we had to choose
the two major courses in Religious Studies that I would take
over the year.  Happily, we found them!  One course was
about exploring beyond the "boundaries of traditional religious
practices," and the other would allow the student to "illuminate
how we think about religion now and for the future."

And, additionally, I could monitor a class offered in the
Geological and Environmental Sciences Department that
focused on the issue of "energy and water resources."

I couldn't believe how these combinations of courses along with
my projected individual research projects suddenly seemed to fall
so nicely into place.  I seriously felt that the Spirit was definitely
leading me down this path when it came to Eco-Spirituality--
making it so incredibly obvious, considering the ease in which I
found my way into this excellent Stanford program.

As it turned out, I zipped through my Master's at Stanford
before I knew it.  The year went too fast.  I wrote some
research papers that related to my course work.


One paper proved very helpful for me, in that I was able to write
down what I really felt about Religion.  As I saw it then, when at
Stanford, it seemed static and stale.  It didn't relate to those issues
facing us, not only spiritually but also realistically.  I felt that if
Religion were to impact on our society, it had to address our 
concerns far more directly.  For me, the main concern involved
how we view God or Ultimate Reality.  Forever so long, down
through the centuries, our god imagery hadn't evolved much.
It still circulated on historical figures who lived in the Ancient
World, and we frankly hadn't moved the imagery into our own
Times, into the Modern World.  Indeed, our god imagery seemed
to keep God "out there," not in the world much at all.

As for the Future, about how our god imagery might shift and
change, well I felt that God had to be smack dab in the middle
of the world in which we lived, here and now, concerned over
the issues that faced us, working with us, and that we, in turn,
needed to understand God from the perspective of our modern
knowledge-base.  This meant moving into Evolutionary Theology,
into Natural Theology--both of which connected with not only
Evolution and the New Cosmology--but also our understanding
of Deep Ecology which was about a universal system of 
"relationship."  Everything, everybody was connected, related.
We and our god imagery, within and without, needed to be all
about connection, completeness.

In my research paper I used the analogy that the Historical Jesus
made, about the "Vine and the Branches."  That analogy was not
about a God who was disconnected from the world.  Rather it
was  a "horticultural" analogy, representative really of the
agricultural world in which Jesus lived.  He was close to the
Earth and to the people who worked its land and its waters.

As for "exploring beyond traditional religious practices," that
seemed easy.  I wrote nearly a tome about the Millennial
Monastery, about its new outlook when it came to the
monastic expression.  It was about integrating the old with
the new, so to speak.  It was about the Benedictine Tradition
which the monastery followed, how we examine the different
elements of this great tradition and cast them in a new light,
in a way that connects with our own time and concerns, without
diminishing the original thoughts of St. Benedict.

For example, for centuries the Benedictine Tradition talked of
the "School for the Lord's Service."  It essentially meant that 
the monastery, itself, was this school--and it was not a school
as we tend to think of such.  Rather it was a school where the
monks not only lived up front with one another, a condition--if
you will--that prompted the individual monk to build his or her
character towards the "Christ Life."  It was part and parcel of
Conversatio Morum, a lifetime pursuit towards conversion into
a finer Christian.  But, this process was undertaken in-house,
behind the walls of the monastery.

But the modern Millennial monk saw this School for the Lord's
Service not only existing within the monastery, but also outside
in the world.  Millennial monks "served" the Lord of the Universe
in the midst of Creation, wherever and however they may be 
called by the Spirit.  And, no, it was not about proselytizing.
It was strictly about Service, in whatever way their particular
profession allowed for such.  Simplified, it was about building-up
not only people but God's Creation.

Upon returning to the monastery my preparatory work continued.
Brother Philip gave me my first real assignment as a monk,
working into becoming a retreat master in Eco-Spirituality.  He
expected a synopsis of how I would present a weekend class
to visitors on this subject.

Hence my rector sent me scurrying off to my rooms, where I spent
a good two weeks trying to work through such an outline.  How to
start was the most difficult part.  Indeed, I spent more than a couple
of days sweating over how to begin.  Eventually, I decided to ease
into this class by quietly discussing the history of the earlier
Benedictine monastics when it came to their connection with Nature.

After doing some research, I discovered that the very kernel of
ancient Benedictine prayer, the Psalms, contained many images
of Nature.  And moving into the medieval period of the Benedictines,
I found the great Abbess Hildegard of Bingen.  She not only was a
theologian and philosopher, but was an early cosmologist who believed
that human nature was a microcosm of Creation.  Above all, I focused
on her poem "Oh Ignis Spiritus Paracliti."  To quote:

"Oh fire of the Holy Spirit,
life of the life of every creature,
holy are you in giving life to forms...
Oh boldest path,
penetrating into all places,
in the heights, on earth,
and in every abyss,
you bring and bind all together,
From you clouds flow, air flies,
Rocks have their humours,
Rivers spring forth from the waters
And earth wears her green vigour
Oh Ignis Spiritus Paracliti."

Then, historically, I moved on to the Cistercian Order, founded 
by St. Bernard of Clairvaux, who lived in the 12th century c.e.
The Cistercians also lived according to the Rule of St. Benedict,
hence they became part of the Benedictine Tradition.  St. Bernard
emphasized harmony between the natural beauty of the monastery
site and the monastic life within it.  For him Nature needed in our
mind to become fertile and purposeful.  Hence irrigation projects
not only provided fish, but sport, and gardens provided not only
food but honest physical labor.  As has been put: " Creation repays
human care by aiding people physically and spiritually."

Moving on there were others--especially in more recent times--
pioneers who began edging into the movement that we have
come to know as Eco-Spirituality.  For example, there's the
Trappist Charles Cummings, the Jesuit Pierre Teilhard de Chardin,
the Passionist Thomas Berry, the Dominican and later Episcopalian
Matthew Fox, and the Franciscan scientist Ilia Delio.

Finally, I felt that we could point out the special gardens we had
constructed right here at the Millennial Monastery California.  How
we had integrated the plant material with the natural environ
that surrounded us.



Of course there was much more to come as I slowly eased into
presenting an Eco-Spirituality retreat.  I naturally emphasized the
long held concept of Stewardship.  But especially, too, I began to
get into the application of Scientific Cosmology, Natural Theology,
as well as Eco-Spirituality with the issues that have seriously
challenged our world in the 21st century.  Mainly these issues
were Environmental and Ecological Health and Sustainability.

After about a half-year of gingerly giving a few of these weekend
retreats on Eco-Spirituality, my Rector called me into his office.
I hadn't done too badly with the Eco-Spirituality retreat, so I figured
that Brother Philip was probably going to ask me to develop another
retreat format.  Wrong, totally wrong!  Was I ever in for a big surprise.

Easing me into a comfortable chair the Rector said that after
discussing my future with the head of the Millennial Monastery 
in Arizona it was decided that after I take my permanent vows as 
a monk I should return to my work as an architect.  As for my
Eco-Spirituality retreat, I would continue to give it periodically.

But all that my ears could seem to hear was the continuous
ringing of the word "architect."  I nearly swooned with joy.  It had
been close to three years since I had practiced my former
profession, and I wondered aloud how I might re-enter the
field.  Brother Philip laughed, and said "not to worry."  There
was a plan.

Again my ears perked up.  The plan was this--the lead monks of
both the Arizona and California monasteries decided that it was
time to erect yet another Millennial monastery.  They had chosen
a site in South Dakota.  And now they considered me their
"resident architect," if you will.  So--not only with the planned
monastery for South Dakota, but with future monastic houses
they hoped to build over the next 20 years or so--I would be in
charge as "their" architect.

This meant reconnecting with my old firm in San Diego.  The 
Rector felt that when I put a new monastery project (and the 
promise of even more such projects in future) on their plate, my
old managers would be happy to take me back into their firm.
Of course Brother Philip proved correct in this, as we both
happily walked out of my old office onto the busy streets of
San Diego.

There was a "plus," too!  Not only had I been re-hired to be the
primary architect for the new Millennial Monastery Dakota with
a battery of the firm's personnel and resources supporting me--
additionally, Brother Philip subtly but firmly made mention that
surely their management would also allow me to eventually start
acquiring some project experience in Environmental Design.
With monastery "dollar bills" gleaming in their eyes, my old
managers were most compliant.

Nonetheless, there was another priority that a short while later
I fulfilled.  I took my final permanent vows as a Millennial monk.


No comments:

Post a Comment