Monday, December 3, 2012

(2) The Beginning


Further along my mother especially wanted to send me to the
Bishop's School in La Jolla, a posh community in San Diego.  Oh
yes, I forgot to mention that I was born and bred in San Diego.  But
I never did manage to get the hang of surfing.  Kind of disgraceful
for a Southern California boy, but there it is.

I had no complaints attending the Bishop's School.  It had a 
spread out campus, and I loved its buildings designed by a
couple of famous early California architects: Irving Gill and
Carlton Monroe Winslow.  (Actually I should say that they were
"transplanted" Californians, in that they were originally from 
the East Coast.)

Anyway, for some unknown motivation on my part I was fascinated
by the buildings at the Bishop's School and in my spare time tried
to find out more about these two architects.  Irving Gill stood out,
in that he actually lived in San Diego.  He started out building
cottages for workers, eventually moving into bigger and better
buildings.  And he was even into what is called the "Arts and
Crafts" movement, which fascinated me and led me to discover
one of America's greatest architects: Frank Lloyd Wright.

By the time my days at the Bishop's School were almost over, I
made mention that I wanted to become an architect.  My father
already had planned that I would go to Stanford, but I put my
foot down and declared that I had already selected California
Polytechnic State University in San Luis Obispo--a town situated
near the central coast of the State.  My parents were less than
pleased, but I was adamant.  I had done my homework and knew
that the architectural program at CalPoly was one of the best in
the country.  So finally my parents relented, and eventually my
application was accepted--and I was on my way to San Luis Obispo.

I  enrolled in a typical five-year baccalaureate program in
Architecture.  And eventually I began to focus on Environmental
Design.  Following this approach, we learned about integrating
the natural beauty of a given landscape with modern architecture.
Indeed, we even studied really early indigenous architecture,
such as Native American dwellings and transposing their designs
into modern building designs.  And need I say that we also became
well trained learning how to "marry" computer programs with the
proposed fabrication of our building projects.  Of course we weren't
involved in creating real buildings, but rather made models.

One really good part of our architectural program at CalPoly was
spending some time actually going to usually a major city, even
sometimes abroad, to study a famous building and see how it
might play into our thinking.

I chose to go to Canada, where I spent about a month studying
the Vancouver Convention Center West.  As advertised, it was
designed to "bring together the natural ecology, vibrant local
culture and environment, accentuating their interrelationships
through the architecture."  Need I say that this great convention
center impressed me no end.

One of the center's features was a six-acre "living roof."  It was
landscaped and boasted some 400,000 native plants and grasses.
Also this green roof served as an insulator when it came to air
temperatures--reducing heat in the summer and protecting from
heat loss in the winter.  Besides this, this wonderful living roof
actually provided a habitat for birds, insects, and small mammals.
The center also boasted an underwater habitat or artificial reef for
barnacles, mussels, seaweed, starfish, crabs, and other kinds of
fish species.  I found it interesting that the center's architects had
collaborated with marine biologists in this particular part of the
project.

I began to realized with this stay in Vancouver that modern 
architects really had to work with not only other trades, like those
in construction, but also with other professionals in different
disciplines.  This colored my sense of being an architect in an
even more positive and creative way,

No comments:

Post a Comment