Monday, December 3, 2012

(1) Teaching Time


Chapter 8.  Teaching Time

The Southwestern Vocational University is located not too far 
from the monastery, so the few days a week that I taught there
I could commute.  The arrangement made me happy in that 
finally I could live permanently at our monastic home up in
the San Ysidro Mountains.

As for the university itself, more than 30 years back it was only
a community college; however, the various community colleges
in California eventually evolved into vocational universities.
It was decided back then that the need for seriously academic
training, directed towards specific vocations, was needed to
meet the job standards of an ever growing high technology
economy.  The vocations were more diverse than expected, 
hence new schools within these vocational universities kept
emerging.  Hence Southwestern's Architecture School was a
recent addition.  Consequently there was a need for teachers,
thus I was hired and slid into a nice slot: Professor of
Environmental Design.

Before I even reached the point teaching students, I was given
time to develop my course that I would teach in-house, 
via video, and online--as well as arrange tours of facilities.
I focused on the subject of Sustainability for all my courses.
California was burgeoning with huge populations, and especially
its Energy and Water resources were the main issues when it
came to sustaining these populations.

It was easy aiming in on the Energy resources, because I had
worked for years in these areas--ranging from photovoltaic
roofs to designing new geo-thermal plants.  On the other hand
I couldn't claim a background when it came to the design of
the Water resources that were necessary for California and
its future.

So I had to arrange some serious time contacting special 
Water facilities in the area, talking to the designers, to the
people who worked there, taking tours myself, before I could
even begin to map out a course on this important and
necessary resource.

No comments:

Post a Comment