Monday, December 3, 2012

(2) New Monk


To this day, I cannot pin down exactly "why" I decided that I wanted
to become a monk.  It just seemed a path that I was walking and 
I had arrived.  Weird, maybe--or, put in old fashioned terms, that
the Spirit led me and I, fortunately, had the good sense to follow.

So when the new monastery was nearly ready for occupancy
I approached Brother Philip (who had just become the Rector)
and talked to him about joining the community as a monk.  I
had concerns that I wouldn't be accepted, because I was still
a little confused as to the "why" I wanted to become a monk.
On the other hand Philip noticed my determination.  Anyway, 
to make a long story short, the Rector put it to the new 
congregation that had finally begun moving into their new
monastic quarters.  And they "approved" of me.  I guess all
those months of friendly chats with the San Ysidro squatters
helped me along my way.

So, by the end of that summer, I entered into the Novitiate of the
Millennial Monastery California.

There were only four of us novices or postulants as the monks
preferred calling us.  After settling into the brand new novice
quarters, before our training and classes began, I had time to
reflect as well as look around.

First I was grateful to my architectural firm where I had worked for
three years.  The management was surprised but fascinated by
my decision to become a monk.  However, as they put it--"If you
ever change your mind, you will have a position here."  That was
really nice of them.

I thought about my family as well.  My parents and my siblings
took my decision in stride as they shook their heads in bemused
bewilderment.  They asked if they could come and visit me at 
the monastery eventually.  Of course I knew they not only might
want to see me, but see *who* these people are who roped me
into the monastic life.  Eventually they did make the long trek to
the San Ysidro Mountains, but not until I was finished with my
year-long novitiate.

Looking around, too, I noticed that some new monastic faces
were now walking around the monastery.  They volunteered
to transfer to California from their monastic house in Arizona.
For the first time I saw some female monks at San Ysidro.
Later I found them to be an interesting lot, some working as
health professionals as well as theologians.

But in short order our training began, beginning with a basic 
overview of what it meant to be a monk at the Millennial
Monastery.  The Novice Master, Brother Michael, talked
about their non-traditional monastic approach, about the
ceremonial roles of the monks, about the Benedictine
Tradition, which I had already discussed lots with the
squatters and Brother Philip when I was viewing the
monastery under construction.  So by this time I wasn't
too shocked about the non-traditional approach "Seeking
God" or trying better to relate spiritually with what some would
call "Ultimate Reality" via our modern knowledge-base.

What did surprise me was the fact that some monks, out of
necessity, occasionally lived outside the monastery for long
periods of time.  This was mainly because of their chosen
work.  Sometimes it was just too far to commute, or perhaps
they had to travel when it came to their "outside" occupation.
In this case, they kept in constant touch via advanced 
communications and occasional return visits to the monastery.

We were also astounded by how much the monastery relied on
advanced computer technology.  Every monk had high
performance computers and communication viewers in their 
respective study and office.  The Novice Master laughingly
put it, "this shouldn't be surprising, when you think back on
medieval monastic history with its scriptoriums--or even into
modern times, when monks started becoming WebMasters
as a way to support their monasteries financially.

Our classes were held in the new buildings out in the gardens.
Once in awhile I dared to take my mind off the Book of Common
Prayer or St. Benedict's Rule and gaze out onto the gardens.
Though I helped in the planning of these gardens, most of the
work was done by a landscaper who lived not far from the
San Ysidro Mountains.  Kind of daydreaming, I thought that
he was a good man to know when it came to my future projects.

That thought really woke me up, so to speak.  Later in my room
I realized that in spite of being a novice monastic, I still very much
thought of myself as an architect.  At that point I started to wonder
how I might engage in this earlier profession when the time came
when I became a full-fledged monk.  But my mind shifted again,
towards my preliminary profession as a Millennial monk.

My novice year swept by fast.  Not surprising I suppose, since I
was learning almost totally new bites of information that had 
never passed my mind before.

Though I had been an Episcopalian, I never knew much about
the Book of Common Prayer--which was the "backbone" of the
Anglican Communion.  When I did go to church, we just read
from pre-printed sheets when it came to participating in the
Sunday service.  At that time I didn't even realize that the words
on those sheets came from the Book of Common Prayer.  All
those years of church schooling, going to chapel as a kid,
some of the "obvious" never made a dent.

However, at the monastery I began to develop such a devotion
towards this great Book.  We monks, of course, are much into 
the Psalms that we followed via the Book. I loved as well the
wonderful prayers, for all seasons, for all occasions, available
in the Book.

No comments:

Post a Comment