Monday, December 3, 2012

(2) Passing the Torch


In the meanwhile I continue to ponder, sitting comfortably
in the garden.  Like any elderly person, I suppose, I tend
to remember so many of friends and family--especially
those who have passed on.  In particular I oft dwell on the
memory of my good friend Brother Philip, who was so
instrumental in changing the course of my life.

Occasionally I do wonder whether I have been a successful
monk.  It somewhat bothers me, that maybe I haven't really
followed the monastic vocation more specifically.  Still long
ago the Millennial Monasteries started out as an 
experimental community that emphasized  that the 
"Lord's Service" was to serve in God's good world,
working for the benefit of God's good people,  

It's just that I chose a somewhat different route,  Whereas
most of our monks worked teaching theology and religion,
others in medical and some technical fields, I was nearly the 
lone wolf when it came to architecture.  Still I managed a 
focus that was true (in a sense) to the ideas behind 
Eco-Spirituality.  And there's no doubt that one of the
greatest challenges of this 21st century of the New 
Millennium has been that of Sustainability of our populations.  

Anyway, I believe that in some strange way I managed to
merge both my monastic and architectural vocations to
support this great effort to "sustain" and keep well our
people here in the San Diego area.  And from what i have
learned, many are continuing this effort throughout the
country.  For me, it has been a spiritual effort doing this.

Oh I must now be off.  Evening prayers are calling, then
a good night's sleep.  

No comments:

Post a Comment