Monday, December 3, 2012

(1) Passing the Torch


Now having retired from Southwestern some ten years ago, 
I am indulging looking back.  It's easy to consider my 
passing the torch--if you will--when it comes to those 
wonderful students I taught at Southwestern,  A goodly 
number of them went on to become successful architects, 
and some especially advanced Environmental Design 
when it came to the buildings and facilities they developed.

Sitting here on my bench in our lovely garden, I now 
ponder mostly about the Past,  Goodness, what else
should an 85 year old do!  It wasn't all about Southwestern,
however,  In the midst of my teaching duties I also still
did some  work on a few new monasteries that the
Millennial Monasteries contracted with my old 
architecture firm,

Fortunately I wasn't the lead architect, first tutoring than
assisting a young bright architect who the firm designated
to work on these new monasteries,  Specifically I assisted
him in designing a fascinating monastery in New Mexico,
near Santa Fe,  We chose a form of Pueblo architecture
for this particular monastery.  Later we worked together
up near Seattle, building a new monastery in the Pacific
Northwest,  We decided  on a Japanese motif when it
came to the buildings--and I thoroughly delighted 
creating some wonderful natural Japanese gardens 
that enhanced the property.

Of course, too, I continued teaching periodic retreats
when it came to Eco-Spirituality.  But I have fellow monks
much younger than me who have jumped into this full
force,  They are the future and have already added loads
of new material to this retreat,  

So it would seem that I have left my interests, my dedication
over the years in good hands, whether at Southwestern or
the building of new monasteries.  Have to smile because
my young protege at the firm has recently been asked to
design two new Millennial monasteries in Florida and
Louisiana.  It would seem our squatting monks are moving
into a whole new territory, expanding from the Western 
states to the South.

I had to laugh when my young protege suggested I might
fly out to Florida with him.  He wanted to take me on a
tour of the Everglades.  Sounds like an interesting 
proposal.  Though I have been walking with a cane for
awhile, I mused over the prospect  of using it to ward off
an attacking alligator.  What's stopping me?  Maybe I will
go visit the Everglades!

No comments:

Post a Comment