Monday, December 3, 2012

(2) Dakota Dream


We built the new monastery over a period of some eighteen 
months.  During that period I spent a lot of time overseeing the 
project, bunking in one of those trailers.  It took awhile getting 
started, in that I had to collaborate with a local architectural firm 
in Rapid City--especially when it came to considering and 
eventually purchasing cold weather building materials.  I also 
had to work with one of their architects when it came to the few 
tornado shelters we would install at the monastery.

But I am getting ahead of myself.  To begin, I divided the layout 
of the Dakota monastery into four sections, acknowledging the 
emphasis on the Four Directions so honored by the Plains Indians.  
The main entrance from the nearby trunk road was fortunately 
located at the East section.  This was important, because the 
East direction represents "Childhood."

Since monks come in all age groups, we really didn't want to see a
bad habit starting when it came to these representations regarding 
the Four Directions being connected with the subject of spiritual 
development.  For example the South direction represented the 
"Youth."  The West, the "Adult"  and the North, the "Elder."  

As it worked out, we planned for the novice and retreat quarters 
as well as classrooms to be placed in the East section, near the 
entrance.  And the monastic living quarters would be interspersed
throughout the other sections of the monastery.  

What proved challenging was the design of the buildings.  From
what I could glean the early Plains Indians lived in both the tipi 
and the earth lodge.  Working through, I designed the central 
chapel in a conical shape supported by strong struts.  As for the 
outside of the chapel, it was beige in color with various designs 
painted on it.  The designs were chosen by the monks living on 
the grounds.  As for the monastic lodgings, true to the configuration 
of the Indians' earth lodges, we designed round buildings painted 
different colors according to where they were situated.  The East 
area was yellow.  The South, red.  The West, a brown color 
in lieu of black.  And the North a creamy white.

In the midst of all this architectural activity there was another 
current stirring me towards a strange adventure.  Maybe it was
because I was sleeping in a strange bunk in a trailer, but over
a period of a few weeks I was having a recurring dream.  This
bothered me, since I never remembered having that kind of
dream before.  

Basically the dream' s setting had me standing in the midst 
of some ancient Indians--and they kept telling me to go see 
Crazy Horse.  When I first dreamt this, I just laughed to myself
upon waking.  But after the third such dream, I made mention
of it to a couple of the Dakota monks.  Older men they said I
should take this recurring dream seriously.  They mentioned
that often dreamwork is connected to the Spirit and one's
development spiritually, and perhaps I should begin such 
work with this recurring dream.  

Well, I had to laugh, wondering out loud who might Crazy
Horse be.  The Dakota monks were astounded that I didn't
know about Chief Crazy Horse, the great Sioux warrior who
lived during the 19th century.  I wondered aloud again, about
going to see him.  It was the monks' turn to laugh.  The dream
was obvious--I needed to go and visit the Crazy Horse
Memorial in the Black Hills.

No comments:

Post a Comment