Monday, December 3, 2012

(3) Teaching Time


Also, since I was a teenager, California has been installing
desalination plants up its coastline from the San Diego region all
the way to the Monterey Bay area.  However I chose to visit two
of the oldest plants in our region, in nearby Rosarito, Mexico.

The Rosarito desalination  plants were sponsored initially not
only by Mexico but the local San Diego Water Authority.  Thus they
were included as part of the string of such facilities up the California
coastline.  And they were by far the largest of all these plants that
provide desalinated water from the Pacific Ocean.

The Mexican company was very hospitable and agreed that I could
periodically bring my Southwestern students down for tours, which
it would provide.  Without going into a lot of detail, a desalination
plant pipes in salt water from the ocean, where via reverse osmosis
the brine is separated from the water supply.  And eventually this
desalinated water is piped into the regional water supply.

Finally satisfied, I prepared my courses on Energy and Water
Resources and was ready to become a teacher.  And I happily
taught dedicated students for some 20 years, until I retired at the
tender age of 75.  Looking back I think I was even more satisfied
teaching the young than I was actually working as an architect
building facilities dedicated to the idea of Sustainability.  Perhaps
I felt by passing on my knowledge to the young would go a much
longer way than just designing a building here and there.

No comments:

Post a Comment