Monday, December 3, 2012

(3) Inner Work


To make a long story short, I eventually discovered what Jungians
call the Animus--the major masculine archetype--and the Anima, 
who represents the major feminine archetype that prevails in a 
person's mental landscape.  Beyond these major archetypes there
are secondary archetypal forces that prevail in this inner world of 
the psyche.  The focus of dream analysis is to understand how these
archetypes speak to us, how they determine who we are, who we
become.

Much to my amazement, my personal Animus represented himself
as a monk--robed, but wearing a warrior's boots.  And my Anima
presented herself as a woman I knew who was a scientist and teacher.  
Philip oft asked me what these descriptives meant to me.  It took time 
to bring forth what they meant, but eventually I determined the
significance of such for me.

Yes, I was meant to be a monk--but one who lived and worked out
in the world.  As a monk-warrior I very much spiritually engaged the
issue of sustainability: i.e., as an architect engaged in Green 
Architecture, as one who focused on the major issues in my region
where the major requirements were about Energy and Water.
And much to my amazement even before I was *conscious* of
any of this, I was unconsciously, naturally, living out this archetypal
map.

I found, too, that I had to attend more to my personal Anima.  She 
was represented by a woman who was a scientist and teacher.  
Philip got me thinking what this might mean for me.  I had taught
a retreat seminar about EcoSpirituality over the years at the
monastery, but I felt that now I had to extend more out into the
world in some significant way.

Perhaps blind luck, but at this point a friend at the nearby 
Southwestern Vocational University contacted me, informing me
that a teaching position at the Architectural School was open--and
would I be interested?  Indeed I was, and soon I found myself in a
new capacity: as a Professor of Architecture!

No comments:

Post a Comment