Monday, December 3, 2012

(1) Inner Work


Looking back with hindsight, of course I knew that my need to 
return to the monastery was connected with what is called a
"midlife transition."  Used to be called a "crisis," but happily we
moved away from that descriptive.  For a good number of years
I had worked nearly non-stop as an architect, and I was more
than tired.  I was exhausted.

Standing back, I realized that I was not only exhausted by the
work but also spiritually.  I believed that I remained a good 
monk, but with retrospect I realized that I was only attending to
the outer aspects of being a monk; i.e. community prayer, 
recommended reading, etc.  Anyway, I began to notice that
I barely was attending to the life of a dedicated monk.

At least at this point I realized that I needed to develop
spiritually, and even I knew that this kind of effort would take
some serious inner work.  Fortunately I knew where to turn,
or rather I should say who I needed to see: Brother Philip.

Brother Philip had retired as a Rector quite awhile ago, but he
continued to serve as a Spiritual Director for the monks at the 
monastery.  Over the years I only engaged in what might be 
deemed peripheral spiritual direction, really fairly superficial I 
suppose.  But these past years I had been incredibly busy serving 
in the world and was content and satisfied most of the time.  
But now I had reached a point in life where my efforts seemed 
redundant, not as meaningful.  And I longed once again for a 
sense of meaning.

Essentially I needed to know *why* I became a monk.

No comments:

Post a Comment