Monday, December 3, 2012

(1) New Monastery


Chapter 2. New Monastery

My manager walked into my office accompanied by a tall middle-
aged fellow.  He introduced himself as "Brother Philip" from the
Millennial Monastery in Arizona.  He had approached our firm,
because his monastery had acquired land in Southern California
and intended to build another monastery.  

I was somewhat taken aback, because not only were most
churches on the wane but also traditional monasteries.  I knew
that many of the older monasteries had to sell their properties
and bunch up at so-called "mother houses," due to the lack of
new membership, a seriously aging population, and loss of
revenue.  So, yes, I was surprised that here was a monk walking
into my office declaring that his monastic group wanted to invest
in a new monastery.

Sitting back in my chair, I listened to what the monk was saying.
His Arizona monastery was already "full-up," and their long term
plan over the next few decades was to build new monasteries 
in selected States in the American West.

Indeed, there were already monks living in trailers on their
California property.  That really surprised me!  At this point I
began to realize that this would be a priority job.  And I was
grateful, too, that my management was giving me a chance 
taking charge of this obviously big project.  It was apparent
that I would be working on a whole group of buildings, that
also would involve considerable landscaping as well.  This
effort would not be a small little church.  So I was determined
to do my best.

Right off I was amazed at the location where the monks had
decided to buy land.  It was in the foothills of the San Ysidro
Mountains.  Not more than 3500 feet above sea level, these
mountains were not too challenging.  But the monks had
chosen their land well, in that they would be high enough 
to capitalize on the "natural air-conditioning" provided by
the winds blowing through the mountain passes.

However--even before Brother Philip and I drove out there
for a first-hand look, I had to ask about the utilities and the
availability of water.  For decades, other than as hiking trails,
this area was kind of the "orphan child" of San Diego County.

But the State had built more roads into this area, and the 
local Gas and Electric Company had begun running power
lines into the area as well,  They were thinking of eventual
development, that had been very long coming.  It's fairly
far out, and housing construction no longer runs at top
speed.  On the other hand, it seemed nicely remote yet
close enough to civilization for the monks  who were
already living there in rented trailers.

My major concern was access to water.  Again a small
revelation.  The sector's water authority had tapped into a
couple of reservoirs not that far away, and had extended
water pipelines out to the San Ysidro Mountains.  Like the
utilities, they were preparing for future housing--that never
came.

Nonetheless, one immediately obvious problem was FIRE
spelled in capital letters!  Over past decades some serious
fires had devastated parts of the San Ysidro Mountains.
Talking to the monks, who were kind of "squatting" on their
newly bought land, I stressed my concern and informed them
that, though expensive, any buildings we might design for
the new monastery would necessarily have to be built with
high-tech fire resistant materials.  This would raise the
construction costs fairly considerably.  The monks understood,

At this point Brother Philip said that it was time to visit his
monastery in Arizona and talk with the lead monk there, who he
referred to as the Rector.  So shortly thereafter we were winging
our way out to Flagstaff, Arizona.

No comments:

Post a Comment